Middle School Track 2016-17 Season

Participants in middle school track have been practicing hard to be successful this spring.

Katy Krider, Copy Editor

Churubusco’s middle school track team is working hard to prepare for the upcoming season. Their first meet is April 11 and they have been attending practice for about two weeks. The different events in track are 100, 200, and 400 meter dash, 800 and 1600 meter runs, 4 by 1 and 4 by 4 relay, 100 and 200 meter hurdles, high and long jump, pole vault, shot put, and discus. In middle school, a player can participate in up to four events. The varsity teams for each event in track usually have four players. The participants have been working hard in their events and will hopefully do well this spring.

Mariah Hosted is in eighth grade and is in 100 meter dash, 200 meter dash, 4 by 1 relay, and long jump. To prepare for the upcoming meets, she has been running sprints in practice. Her favorite part about track is hanging out with her friends and running the 4 by 1. For Mariah, the most difficult part about track is not getting frustrated and the easiest is 200 and 4 by 1. In high school, she is not planning on participating. Mariah is in track to stay conditioned and is participating for her second year. She feels she is prepared for her first meet and that she will do well this season.

Cullen Blake is in hurdles and pole vault and is in sixth grade. His favorite part about track is running, and he finds warm ups the easiest. To prepare for the meets, Cullen has been working hard doing hurdles, pole vault, and sprints. He is in track for his first year and is planning on participating in high school. Cullen does track to prepare and help keep him in shape for football. He thinks he is prepared for his first meet and that he will do well this season.

Molly Geiger is in eighth grade and is participating in 4 by 4 relay, 400 meter dash, and 800 meter run. She doesn’t know if she wants to be in track in high school. Molly is participating for her second year; she was also in track when she was in sixth grade. She thinks she is sort of prepared for her first meet and that she will do okay this season. Molly is in track to stay in shape.

Madison Hosted is in 100 meter dash, 200 meter dash, 4 by 1 relay, and long jump. She is in sixth grade, and this year will be her first in track. Madison feels she is prepared for her first meet and that she will do well this season. Her favorite part about track is running, and she doesn’t know whether or not she will be participating in high school. To prepare for her first meet, Madison has been running and working hard.

Brooke Konger is in 100 meter dash, 200 meter dash, 4 by 1 relay, and long jump and is in eighth grade. To prepare for the season, she has been practicing all her events. Brooke is planning on participating in track in high school. She is in track for her third year to stay in shape. For Brooke, the most difficult part about track is long jump and the easiest is 4 by 1 and 200. Her favorite part is the 4 by 1, and her least is long jump. She feels her season will go fairly well and that she is prepared for her first meet because she has been practicing hard.

Eli Lantz is in eighth grade and is participating in track for his first year. He is in track because he enjoys it and is in 4 by 4 relay, 400 meter dash, 800 meter run, and long jump. In practice, Eli has been running to prepare for the meets. He feels he will do well this season and that he is prepared for his first meet. Eli’s favorite part about track is the 4 by 4, and his least favorite is long jump. In Eli’s opinion, the most difficult part about track is long jump, and the easiest is running the 400. He will probably be participating in high school.

Alexis Beck throws shot put and discus and is in sixth grade. In practice, she has been preparing for meets by working hard and throwing. Alexis finds running and jogging the most difficult part about track and throwing the easiest. She is in track for her first year and plans on continuing in high school. Alexis participates in track because she wants to. She thinks she will do well this season and that she is partially prepared for her first meet.

Allie Basinger is in eighth grade and is participating in track for her third year. She is in 1600 meter run, 800 meter run, and 4 by 4. For Allie, the most difficult part about track is beating her time, and the easiest is running. Her favorite part is running in meets, and her least favorite is practice. To prepare for the meets, Allie has been running and lifting weights. She plans on being in track in high school and participates because she enjoys it. She thinks she will do well this season and is prepared for her first meet.

Kaylynn Boggess is in pole vault, long jump, and sprints. She is in sixth grade and is participating in track for her first year. To prepare for the upcoming season, she has been practicing her events. Kaylynn feels she will do well this season and that she is partially prepared for her first meet. Kaylynn wants to be in track in high school and participates to have fun and stay fit. Her favorite part is long jump, and her least favorite is workouts. Kaylynn finds long jump the easiest and sprints the hardest part about track.

Katelynn Schuman is in eighth grade and is in 400 meter dash, 4 by 4 relay, and long jump. She is in track for her third year and plans on continuing in high school. To prepare for the meets, Katelynn has been practicing her running and jumping. She thinks she will do well this season and that she is prepared for her first meet. The easiest part about track for Katelynn is long jump, and the most difficult is running more than two laps at a hard pace. Her favorite part about track is running the 400, and she participates to stay in shape and to hang out with her friends.

William Aspy is in sixth grade and is in shot put and 100 meter dash. To prepare for the meets, he has been practicing shot put. For William, the easiest part about track is running short distance, and the hardest is running long distance. He doesn’t know whether or not he will be participating in track in high school. William feels he will do well this season and that he is prepared for his first meet. He is participating in track for the first time and does because likes to run, throw, and get good exercise. William’s favorite part about track is throwing, and his least is running long distance.

The different events in middle school track are 100, 200, and 400 meter dash, 800 and 1600 meter runs, 4 by 1 and 4 by 4 relay, 100 and 200 meter hurdles, high and long jump, pole vault, shot put, and discus. The 100, 200, and 400 meter dash are sprints for the given amount of meters. The 800 and 1600 meter runs are distance runs, again, for the given amount of meters. The 4 by 1 relay is four athletes each running one lap and handing off the baton to the next runner. The 4 by 4 is the same as 4 by 1, but repeated four times. The 100 and 200 meter hurdles are sprints for the given amount of meters, but with hurdles to jump. High jump requires the athletes to jump over the bar without touching it while using a specific form. Long jump is when the player jumps as far as they can with a running start. Pole vault is similar to high jump, but the athlete is aided by a pole to clear the bar. When throwing shot put, the player throws the metal ball as far as they can using a special technique. Lastly, discus requires the athlete to throw a disc as far as they can while using a specific form.

Many players are confident in their preparation this spring. The athletes and coaches alike have been working hard to improve and be successful this season. The coaches are teachers at Churubusco, Mr. Wright, Mrs. Hogeston, Ms. Esselburn, and Mr. Stump. Wright coaches boys, high jump, 4 by 1, and 4 by 4 relays. Hogeston coaches girls, pole vault, and distance. Esselburn coaches sprints, hurdles, and long jump, and Stump coaches throwing.